Electronic Superhighway (2016-1966) at the Whitechapel Art Gallery

Electronic Superhighway (2016-1966)

29 January – 15 May 2016

This is the major new show at the Whitechapel Art Gallery

A major exhibition bringing together over 100 works to show the impact of computer and Internet technologies on artists from the mid-1960s to the present day.

It’s a pity that it is their ‘paying show’ this year- (Student price £9.50) but I expect it will have a lot of seminal work in it. It will probably be quite overwhelming.. so allow enough time to smake your visit. Would be great if some PTBM body wanted to do a blog post on this! As it is really relevant to our pathway…

2 thoughts on “Electronic Superhighway (2016-1966) at the Whitechapel Art Gallery

1. Profile photo of David Anthony HeadDavid Anthony Head

Jennet is correct, you need to take a few hours and plenty of time , with the odd tea break,to look at this exhibition. I went with Javen this week and it was so overwhelming we decided we ought to make a second visit. It was also very busy ( we went pm after Wednesdays timetable hiccup) , so you may want wait a few weeks until its quieter- whilst we were there a professional TV crew were filming the show .
    You can book on line before hand and get a morning or evening slot.

My lasting impression was that there was far too much work, rather like a 21 st century version of The Royal Academy’s 1 summer shows..ie every available space was deployed so you couldn’t see ‘the wood from the trees’.
    I d definitely recommend going and if you haven’t much time , begin upstairs and work down towards gallery one.

Reply